72 Hour Jam Contest

Come on and slam…

And welcome to the 72-Hour Jam Contest!

A jam contest, you say? What's that?

It's simple. From February 17th through February 19th, you will write three stories over a three day period, competing for honor, glory, and meaningless prizes. This contest is designed to squeeze inspiration out of you and see what kind of works you can produce in an accelerated timeframe.

The Grand Prize

The Grand Prize goes to RimpleRimple with a cumulative 197 upvotes!

The Silver Medal goes to WerylliumWeryllium with 139 total upvotes!

Congratulations to you both, as well as to every other participant for submitting damn fine work!

The Contest

The contest will be broken up into three periods of 24 hours each. At the beginning of each period, a THEME will be announced. From the moment the THEME is announced, contestants will have exactly 24 hours to write an article based on that theme. All contest articles posted for each period must adhere to that period's theme - if you write an article for the first period but only post it in the second period, that article will be disqualified.

Winners will be determined by vote count. There will be first place winners for each theme, as well as a Grand Prize Winner for the entrant who writes for all three themes and amasses the highest overall vote count.

You are free to solicit as much critique as you can get within the time period.

Rules:

  1. The contest will begin at 12:01 AM (EST) on February 17 and end at 12:01 AM (EST) on February 20.
  2. Authors may not collab with each other. One author per article only! You can still get critique from as many people as you can!
  3. As soon as a theme is announced, entries for that theme are OPEN. As soon as the NEXT theme is announced, entries for the PREVIOUS theme are CLOSED. You can still post articles for closed themes, but they will not be considered as valid entries.
  4. Authors may submit any number of entries per theme. Only the three highest-rated entries (highest entry per theme) will be considered for voting totals.
  5. Each theme's entries will have seven days, beginning from the END of their posting period, to accumulate votes. At the end of this period, net upvotes will be tallied and used to determine the final placements.
  6. All types of articles - SCPs, Tales, and GOI Formats - are allowed.
  7. Entries can be as long or as short as you want, stretching over multiple articles or centered on a single page.
  8. Authors do not have to submit entries for all three themes; you may pick and choose which themes to submit to, but only authors who submit entries for all three themes will be considered for the Grand Prize.
  9. No significant edits after the entry has been posted. If you wouldn't do it to someone else's work, don't do it to your own until the contest ends.
  10. Contest entries will go through the normal deletion process. As there is no limit on the number of entries you may post, you may always reenter. However, you may not repost a new version of a previously deleted entry in the contest. You can always submit these documents to the site again, but they cannot reenter the contest.
  11. Entries must be new. You cannot edit or suggest an existing document for this contest.
  12. Tag your entries with 'jam-con2018'.

Winners will be chosen through total upvotes. At the conclusion of the contest, a post will be made by the judges announcing winners and awarding special prizes to deserving entries. The judges for this contest are A Random DayA Random Day and ProcyonLotorProcyonLotor - please PM them with any further questions you might have.

The Themes

Dawn of the First Day: Murder Mystery

Murder Mystery Top 3!

Special Awards!

All Entries!

Dawn of the Second Day: Tropical

Tropical Top 3!

Special Awards!

All Entries!

Dawn of the Third Day: "It was a dark and stormy night…"

Dark and Stormy Night Top 3!

Special Awards!

All Entries!

Contest Entries

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License