GRU-P casefile "FLY AGARIC"
rating: +63+x

The following partial documentation pertaining to object of special interest "FLY AGARIC" has been procured by agent [REDACTED] of which there is little doubt. Work into ascertaining the authenticity of recovered files is ongoing; the anomalies described within have been given the provisional classification numbers E-501 and E-502 with sources local to the territory of Mordovian ASSR tasked to ascertain the existence of E-501.

OSI "FLY AGARIC" DIVISION "P" DEPARTMENT III
APPROVED 11.III.1966 PRINTOUT NR: 1
SIGNED .................. S
DEPARTMENT HEAD III-P-9-GRU D.NR: 27-III-1966
RESPONSIBLE PERSONNEL: Igor S. Petlyar к.т.н.
DETAIL: OSI "FLY AGARIC" is the designation of a subspecies of Fomes fomentarius, provisionally designated Fomes fomentarius copiosus. The appearance, habitat and nutrition of F. fomentarius copiosus resembles that of its superspecies, and sample combustion analysis shows no differences in composition.

F. fomentarius copiosus has been designated object of special interest due to abnormal traits associated with the growth and physical properties of its fruit body.

The mycelium of F. fomentarius copiosus does not appear to penetrate significantly into the host, with very limited saprotrophic activity; the characteristic areas of decomposing wood demarcated by pseudosclerotic layers are all but absent. Long-term studies of specimens on host wood segments in a sealed chamber have shown that there is net mass gain as the specimens' fruit bodies grow and mature; this suggests the specimen obtains nutrients from elsewhere.

In addition, the fruit body of F. fomentarius copiosus exhibits atomism. An attempt to remove a section thereof results in no change to the volume or mass of the fruit body, however, a segment identical to that of a similarly cut control sample of F. fomentarius is produced, independant of the direction of the cut. This property is not preserved in the removed segment.

Setting fire to a fruit body causes it to combust until extinguished, while spontaneously increasing in mass and volume at a rate of cca. 20g/hour, with ash and fragments detaching. No spontaneous upper limit was observed as of now, with longest experiment running for three (3) months and achieving a combined debris mass of ~40kg

See Appendix A for data on occurence. The species appears endemic to forests in the Mordovian ASSR.

Proposed uses:
(i) Cheap supply of fuel - REJECTED. High water content and resistance of fruit bodies to dessication; segments can be processed as normal but limited economic value due to labour requirements.
(ii) Felt production - APPROVED - cheap and expedient material collection. Comrade I. Kalugin commended; by estimate, could help to exceed felt production targets by 135%. Test run of felt to be produced and thoroughly tested by 01. I. 1967.

INCIDENT SUMMARY DIVISION "P" DEPARTMENT II
23.VI.1966 D.NR:32-II-1966
ATTACHED TO DOCUMENT 27-III-1966
On 19.VI.1966, a conflagration took place in Unit II of the Wood Processing Plant of 28th October near [REDACTED], Nizhny Novgorod Oblast. Dispatched fire brigade found the premises to contain extensive amounts (app. 2000 cu. m.) of unknown matter, which apparently caused structural damage resulting in short-circuit of feed leads leading to fire.

Embedded GRU-P agent "KOLYA" was alerted, and requested ARC from local command. Procured unburnt samples were shown to be the remains of tissues of Fomus fomentarius fruit bodies. Investigation pending.

INTERVIEW LOG DIVISION "P" DEPARTMENT II
24.VI.1966 D.NR:
ATTACHED TO DOCUMENT 32-II-1966
Attached is the transcript of interview of Ivan V. Fedorov, one of the workers at the Wood Processing Plant of 28th October where incident 32-II-1966 took place. Interviewer is agent "ROMANOV" posing as operative of the local militia office inspecting potential sabotage attempt

R: Honor to work, comrade. Have a moment?
IVF: Go talk to Igor, I'm on br-
R: I'm afraid not. Sergeant Petrovsky, district militia office. Show me your papers.
IVF: Here…
R: Ivan Vasilievic Fedorov, is it? Alright, comrade Fedorov. It says here you were an operator on the third section. You are aware there's been a fire at your workplace two days ago?
IVF: If this is why… I didn't do anything! I was in the pub the evening, just ask Sergej, Misha or Leonid. And then went home, my wife can-
R: Calm down, comrade. We haven't accused you of anything. And I'll be frank with you, we don't suspect the factory staff - there's a few ideas out there as to how the accident came about, and all I'm here to do is to clear up a couple details. So, let's get this over with, eh?
IVF: Alright.
R: Excellent. Now, your documents say 'operator' but that's a wide term. What exactly is it that you do here?
IVF: I'm… I run the cutter.
R: What cutter? Tell me in detail.
IVF: Well, it's the cutter. You stuff in a trunk, it gets cut into planks, they get bathed, shaped, then out to dry. I'm the one who keeps it fed and cutting at the right rate and all that.
R: Bathed?
IVF: Yeah. It's some stuff that prevents the wood from going foul. Impregnation, that's the fancy name for it. See, we're first class, our planks go for floors and cupboards and all that. Furniture.
R: Alright. Now, for the classic. Did you notice anything unusual during the last shift?
IVF: Not really. It all went swimmingly, given the crap they trucked to us. I swear, comrade, they want us to plait a whip from shit, when you look at the targets and material.
R: Who does?
IVF: Everyone. But this is the lumber folks' fault. Half the trunks they sent us were obviously trushy, all hiding under the nice ones. The shit is supposed to go for firewood. So when we- uh.
R: Go on.
IVF: Well…
R: Listen, I won't pull this out from you like threads from a felt blanket. I'll assume you didn't bother to reject the crap they sent you, or notify your boss. I don't care - we're not workplace malpractice committee. Now, carry on and cut the crap.
IVF: Yeah, you got it. See, if we did anything it'd fuck up with our factory trying to get awards for exceeding targets - and our bonuses would go to hell. So we cut it anyways and hoped nobody will notice the discoloration anytime soon, or if they do, they'll keep hush about it. After all, it's not our fault - they can go cry at the suppliers.
R: I suppose.
IVF: But, this is where it gets interesting! A couple of us were kinda nervous about it, and went to inspect the planks coming out - see, there's a couple things you can do to make such damage a bit less obvious. But, the wood came out fine. I wouldn't have believed by looking at the bark, but the trush hasn't eaten through at all, no lines, good colour, good hardness, all! So on paper it was all fine - nobody could blame us for pushing forwards wood that looks alright by the spec.
R: I see. Anything else you noticed?
IVF: Not really. I was happy enough how we put one over the fuckers, then went to have a couple drinks to celebrate after the shift… and after in the morning, I heard there was a fire overnight.
R: Thank you comrade, that will be all. I might show up again for you to sign a statement, but, until then.
Further investigation confirmed trees from delivery to be infested with Fomus fomentarius copiosus. File attached to OSI "FLY AGARIC" file alongside with incident report.

OSI "FLY AGARIC" ADD.25.VIII.1966 DIVISION "P" DEPARTMENT III
APPROVED 30.VIII.1966 PRINTOUT NR: 1
SIGNED .................. S
DEPARTMENT HEAD III-P-9-GRU D.NR: 59-III-1966
ATTACHED TO DOCUMENT 27-III-1966
RESPONSIBLE PERSONNEL: Igor S. Petlyar к.т.н.
DETAIL: Since its discovery, further work was carried out on Fomus fomentarius copiosus specimens, motivated by the incident described in document 32-II-1966. The main experimental results follow:
The use of a systemic fungicide on Fomus fomentarius copiosus specimen exhibiting atomism results in the reification of copious amounts of dead F. fomentarius copiosus tissues. The tissue reifies in a timescale corresponding to the absorbtion of such a fungicide and the manifestation of its effects, as confirmed by testing control group F. fomentarius specimens.

The amount of reified tissue has been found to be a function of the live mass of the fruit body prior to application. Experimentation with small fruit bodies has revealed the following empirical relationship assuming fungicide saturation: mr = mem/K, where mr is the reified mass, m the original mass of the fruit body and K = 6.046 grams; valid for fruit bodies above ~5g.

Attempting to repeatedly section such bodies have shown the same limit to apply to the anomalous pseudo-atomist behaviour (termed fomoid atomism further on) discovered earlier - after being sectioned 457 times, the cca. 50g experimental sample ceased to reify fungal matter.

Coupled with known information regarding the mycelium of F. fomentarius copiosus, the prevalent hypothesis at the time is that the tissues of a F. fomentarius copiosus grow out in a spatial direction perpendicular to the unit vectors of 3-space, with dead or removed tissue being detached and forced into the local point by mass of surrounding matter, which manifests as it reifying. These findings are consistent with 4-space theory proposed by academician G. Chutayev. The focus of current research is to examine the pressure of tissue reification as means of verifying stated hypothesis - if valid, the pressure curve should show linear decrease with amount of tissue reified.

Proposed uses:
(i) [REDACTED] - APPROVED - SEE D.NR: 257-III-1973
(ii) [REDACTED] - REJECTED - Low likelihood of success; feasibility study required. APPROVED 21.XII.1971 in limited scope - SEE D.NR: 83-III-1972

PROJECT "FLYSWATTER" DIVISION "P" DEPARTMENT III
APPROVED 21.IX.1967 PRINTOUT NR: 1
SIGNED .................. CS
DEPARTMENT HEAD III-P-9-GRU D.NR: 257-III-1973
PROJECT TARGET: To develop and test a stealth pseudo-explosive device utilizing OSI "FLY AGARIC" as payload.
PROJECT HEAD: Igor S. Petlyar к.т.н.
30.IV.1972 SUCCESSFUL
DETAIL: 7S12 "FLYSWATTER" pseudo-explosive device consists of a bakelite body containing within a ~150g instance of OSI "FLY AGARIC", a 200ml wax paper container filled with Benomyl solution and a triggering rod opening. A bakelite triggering rod is attached to the device by means of adhesive tape. (see pages 1-3 of Appendix A - attached technical documentation)

Operator primes 7S12 "FLYSWATTER" by forcibly inserting triggering rod into triggering rod opening, penetrating the wax paper container. A functional device activates within two (2) hours of being primed.

Activation is characterized by rapid (app. 200kg/s) matter gain of active component, resulting in forceful expansion of [REDACTED] peak pressure, until final mass of app. 60 tonnes, and corresponding volume of app. 200 cu. m. unrestricted.

Prototype 7S12 pseudo-explosive device was successful at causing hull breach in a decommissioned An-12 cargo plane within 30 seconds of activation.

Variant designs utilizing glass, wood, waxed paper, or metal shells for specific purposes attached - see page 4-13 of attached technical documentation. See pages 14-20 for a dead man's switch design proposed for use as a safeguard for vital equipment and installations.

INCIDENT SUMMARY DIVISION "P" DEPARTMENT II
02.VII.1971 D.NR:32-II-1971
ATTACHED TO DOCUMENT 27-III-1966
DETAIL: On 27.VI.1971, F. Malenkin, a resident of [REDACTED], Nizhny Novgorod Oblast, reported the capture of a "dragon". The captured animal outwardly resembled a Vipera berus specimen with congenital polycephaly; however, as F.M. readily demonstrated, removing or crushing a head would cause multiple heads to appear on the animal's body.

Specimen was secured and transferred to secure facility "KALINA". Due to preliminary research showing resemblance between the captured animal's properties and the properties of OSI "FLY AGARIC", further research will be directed by Department III's "FLY AGARIC" research group.

PROJECT "CERBERUS" DIVISION "P" DEPARTMENT III
APPROVED 21.XII.1971 PRINTOUT NR: 1
SIGNED .................. CS
DEPARTMENT HEAD III-P-9-GRU D.NR: 83-III-1972
PROJECT TARGET: To breed a special-purpose guard dog based on Moscow Watchdog, exhibiting fomoid atomism analogous to that of OSI "FLY AGARIC"
PROJECT HEAD: Jurij T. Fedenko к.т.н.1
DETAIL: The demands of national security, specifically, that of securing key installations and facilities from both outside infiltration by imperialist agents which are growing more pervasive and ingenious; and exfiltration of specific entities (refer to files "HOGWEED", "ALECHIN", "DONBASS" for key instances of specific demand) place ever-increasing requirements on readiness and effectivity of forces tasked with such. Especially in securing terrain, and intruder detection, tracking and detention, the guard dog has been an indispensable accessory; however, resilience is often an issue.

Project "CERBERUS" aims at inducing fomoid atomism in dogs of Moscow Watchdog breed and their subsequent training, resulting in a resilient guard dog temporarily resistant to most forms of physical damage. If successful, the project will open the way forwards for widening the scope of use of "CERBERUS"-type watchdog in the context of military and civil security operation, as well as explore the effects of inducing fomoid atomism in higher organisms.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License