SCP-2559

Item #: SCP-2559

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: Access to any documentation or knowledge about SCP-2559 is to be provided only with the express permission of Biological Research Area 91's Site Director or two members of the O5 Council. Individuals accessing this document must consent to any containment procedures deemed necessary by the Site Director, including (but not limited to) internment for a minimum of 9 days and testing of blood and cerebrospinal fluid at any time after first reading.

Instances of SCP-2559-1 are to be contained at Biological Research Area 91 in standard humanoid containment cells. Instances are to be kept alive by any means, following Procedure 555-Vineyard. On-site staff are required to report any unusually coloured patches of skin, rashes or joint pain. Staff are also required to submit regular blood samples to pathology, with no more than five days between each sample. Failure to meet this deadline, or attempting to cheat any medical test, is grounds for immediate demotion and cautionary internment in accordance with site quarantine procedures.

A containment team, MTF-Upsilon-4 ("Sugar Pill") is to be maintained and dispatched immediately to any suspected breakouts of SCP-2559. υ-4 is to be trained in relevant antimemetic and biohazard containment procedures and the current Commander briefed on the nature of SCP-2559 before dispatch. Following containment, all surviving members of υ-4 are to be treated with amnestics and tests on cerebrospinal fluid performed after a four-day containment period. Members of υ-4 are not under any circumstances to retain memories of the nature of SCP-2559, past missions or inactive teammates. Any deemed infected are to be reclassed as an instance of SCP-2559-1 and brought to Biological Research Area 91 for containment (- Those infected in the line of duty are to be terminated unless the number of infected in Biological Research Area 91 has dropped below critical levels - Ethics Committee).

Description: SCP-2559 is a fatal viral infection and cognitohazard: Individuals believing themselves to have been infected by SCP-2559 will in all cases actually become infected. These individuals are reclassified SCP-2559-1. No non-anomalous transmission method of SCP-2559 is known.

SCP-2559 virions can be found in the blood within the first two days of infection, and in the cerebrospinal fluid within the first five hours of infection. Autopsy of the recently deceased indicates that the virions are produced along with new cerebrospinal fluid in the choroid plexuses.

Common symptoms resembling a non-anomalous infection include:

  • Increased intracranial pressure (hydrocephaly) leading to tunnel vision and convulsive episodes. In extreme cases, can cause mental disability, stroke and death.
  • Restriction of blood supply to various organs/tissues (ischemia) leading to tissue necrosis and gangrene. Extreme cases can cause strokes.
  • Extreme negative reactions to various substances: water, food, sun, heat, cold, various medications and anaesthetics.
  • A number of pigmentation disorders, most commonly segmental vitiligo1.

None of these symptoms have appeared in all subjects, nor is this a full list of symptoms presented.

Infection has thus far shown a 100% mortality rate, with continuous medical treatment (following Procedure 555-Vineyard) serving to extend life expectancy from 3-4 months up to five years in ideal patients. Prior to 1995, SCP-2559 followed a predictable infection cycle, with outbreaks every 3-4 years. It has not yet been determined how or where these outbreaks begin, or if there is any pattern to the locations affected.

The first confirmed outbreak of SCP-2559 occurred in the town of Dingle, Ireland in 1928. Despite the death of 43 civilians in this instance, the outbreak was deemed non-anomalous by investigating agents until linked to a similar breakout in Siglufjörður, Iceland in 1933, where agents discovered the virus' memetic properties (See Incident Report 2559-1). Due to a number of similar traits, it is believed that a case of mass hysteria in Wellstead, Australia (now Bremer Bay) in July 1889 may be the first recorded breakout of SCP-2559.

Relevant Incidents:

Incident Report 2559-1:

On 01/12/1933, during initial containment in Siglufjörður, Iceland, three Junior Researchers were found to have been infected and redesignated SCP-2559-1. Instances placed in humanoid containment along with standard quarantine procedures. Following the return to Site-91, 12 further researchers were found to have become infected. The spread of rumours within the facility lead to rapid spread of infection among site staff. On 05/12/1933, site was placed under quarantine after testing showed more than 20% of the staff had been infected.

Incident Report 2559-36:

25/12/1995 - At 04:17, Nurse Profio (1-91-753) reports dizziness and confusion in three contained instances. At 05:07, SCP-2559-1-155 suffers major seizure and dies - stroke is later attributed to undiagnosed hydrocephaly. At 05:10, SCP-2559-1-139 and SCP-2559-1-147 also suffer fatal stroke. Dr. Rammelkamp (2-91-500) and Dr. Krynick (2-91-549) are called from their sleeping quarters to assist with treating patients as six more instances suffer stroke. Between 05:12 and 05:43, all contained instances suffer major hydrocephalic stroke. Dr. Rammelkamp and Dr. Krynick succeed in saving three instances through emergency fluid drainage procedures. At 06:55, all three living instances suffer major cardiac arrest and die.

26/12/1995 - An unscheduled outbreak occurs in Chenggong, Taiwan. MTF υ-4 perform a successful containment with 153 civilian casualties and 30 sur2559ng instances of SCP-2559-1. In light of the apparent link between unprecedented total loss of contained instances and unscheduled breakout, Procedure 555-Vineyard is proposed and implemented following review by the Ethics Committee.

Incident Report 2559-40:
SCP-2559-1-395, formerly Junior Researcher Sai, was noted to have developed unusually patterned pigmentation on the back of its left hand. Instance was revived from a medical coma for interview.

Incident Report 2559-41:
A breakout in Mystic, Connecticut went unnoticed for almost a month, in part due to unusually subtle initial symptoms - most citizens believed it to be the common cold. On 6/12/13, Ernie Becker, the town doctor, contacted the CDC to report a highly infectious illness with severely sudden onset of fatal symptoms, with 80-90% of the townspeople infected. Foundation watchdogs picked up the activity and MTF υ-4 were activated.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License