SCP-2892
rating: +44+x

Item #: SCP-2892

nintchdbpict000282741988.jpg

SCP-2892, taken approximately two weeks prior to its sinking.

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Due to the nature of SCP-2892, it cannot be fully contained. Site 2892-A has been established at Surabaya, Indonesia (per agreement with the Indonesian government) to facilitate monitoring. Site 2892-A will be disguised as an Indonesian naval facility.

At all times, at least one Van Speijk-class frigate modified to carry NATO standard weaponry and sensory packages is to be on patrol in SCP-2892's identified area of manifestation. This frigate is to be supported at all times by no less than two maritime patrol aircraft. In the event of a prolonged manifestation, one air-to-air re-fueling craft should be on standby to facilitate extended operations. These craft will bear the markings of the Indonesian Navy. In the event of attrition or sudden need, non-conforming ships may be visually modified to appear to be a ship currently in service with the Indonesian Navy.

During a manifestation event no civilian craft, whether they are seaborne or low-flying aircraft1, are to be permitted any closer than 20km2 of SCP-2892. Civilian craft should be hailed and informed that they are entering a live-fire exercise or on-going anti-piracy operation and must divert. Failure to acknowledge and comply should be responded to with rapid interception of the craft.

Standard escalation of force is to be observed for non-compliant craft. Civilian sea-craft should ideally be boarded by attached elements of MTF Gamma-6 ("Deep Feeders") acting as a fast-craft or rotary-wing boarding team. Administration of Class B amnestics and a forced course correction must follow. In the event of an incursion by openly hostile groups the local MTF commander has discretion in how to respond.

During a Dutchman event all assets should sound general quarters and prepare to aggressively intercept SCP-2892. Survivors of a Dutchman event are to be administered with Class C amnestics and evacuated to the nearest Indonesian port. Should SCP-2892 not enter a hostile state standard interception protocol should be observed. Dutchman events are to be considered a breach of containment.

Description: SCP-2892 is the HNLMS Java, a Dutch cruiser sunk during the battle of The Java Sea on 27th February, 1942. It is fully corporeal and seaworthy, and all systems appear to be functioning.

SCP-2892's manifestation consists of the ship breaching the water's surface, bow-first. This is preceded by a dull red glow, similar to that observed in a Dutchman event, below the water's surface. The depth at which SCP-2892 begins this process has been observed to be between 20 to 18 meters. SCP-2892 appears to simply materialize under the water. The materialization has often been described as watching the vessel 'fading into existence.' The nature and frequency of SCP-2892's manifestation, beyond its approximate location, follows no observable pattern.

The ship shows no signs of the extensive structural damage it was reported to have received during its final action. At no point during any of its manifestations have crew been observed on deck. SCP-2892's weaponry and sensory arrays appear to perform to the ship's historical specifications. SCP-2892 however displays an ability to withstand anomalous amounts of damage with no corresponding loss in performance. It is seemingly indestructible. It has shown itself capable of maintaining flank speed in spite of fires, heavy listing, and flooding, and appears to dissipate when it would otherwise be sunk. The time until re-manifestation occurs appears to be variable, with the shortest observed time frame being 18 hours, and the longest being 1 month, 3 weeks. Despite its abnormal structural endurance SCP-2892 often takes standard evasive actions when it loses fire superiority. This helps greatly to facilitate its containment.

SCP-2892's non-anomalous armament remain a significant threat when consideration of its endurance is made. It poses a particular danger to civilian and commercial craft, which travel at much slower speeds than itself and contemporary military craft are capable of. To date, it appears to only be actively hostile during Dutchman events (see Incident Log 2892-07). The passive effects of manifestation also pose a significant threat to smaller commercial and civilian craft, and is likely to induce a Dutchman event and subsequent hostile reaction as a result.

SCP-2892's manifestation is limited to the waters in which its final action was fought. Once manifested, SCP-2892 appears to roam at will, but to date has not seen to exit any of the straits that act as passages into the Java Sea. SCP-2892's manifestation is always coupled with the appearance of strong, but varying storm conditions regardless of the season. SCP-2892 is not necessarily at the eye of these systems, and has been observed to precede or succeed the passage of them. The reason for this is currently unknown.

Severity of these storm systems range from heavy swells upwards to conditions resembling a category 5 Typhoon. The detection of these storm systems appears impracticable save by visual confirmation; traditional methods of short-range weather radar detection appear to be prone to malfunctions. Longer range meteorological radar inexplicably do not pick up the systems that accompany the manifestation of SCP-2892. The severity of the storm systems that accompany manifestation do not appear to be predictable; no discernible pattern has been identified.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License