SCP-2924
rating: +109+x

Item #: SCP-2924

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Samples of SCP-2924 are to be kept in a biosafety level 3 laboratory at Site-201, which has been constructed near the Point of Convergence of SCP-2924-1. Instances of SCP-2924-1 are to be kept in humanoid containment chambers at Site-201 until the SCP-2924 infection has been deemed completely eliminated from the instance's body by on-site medical staff, after which they are to be given Class-A amnestics and returned to their city of origin. MTF Gamma-8, 'Balloon Men', have been assigned to collect discovered SCP-2924-1 instances, monitor former SCP-2924-1 instances, and assess possible outbreaks of SCP-2924, including finding the source of SCP-2924, if one exists.

Description: SCP-2924 is an anomalous respiratory infection most commonly affecting transients or those otherwise lacking a fixed domicile.1 SCP-2924 outbreaks occur throughout the continental United States in 3-6 month intervals, affecting shelters, public parks, and other areas where transients commonly congregate. The source of these outbreaks is currently unknown. Individuals infected with SCP-2924 (referred to as SCP-2924-1) initially suffer from symptoms similar to acute bronchitis, including cough, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. Standard medication for similar infections does not appear to affect SCP-2924 until after anomalous properties have manifested.

5-7 days after initial infection, SCP-2924-1 instances begin to slowly become more buoyant. This appears to be the result of an anomalous reduction in density, without attendant decrease in mass or increase in volume. Buoyancy increases over 24 hours until SCP-2924-1 is neutrally buoyant in the surrounding atmosphere, typically floating 10-12m above the ground. SCP-2924-1 will then begin to move at a rate of 5km/hr in a set direction parallel to the earth, regardless of prevailing winds, unless tethered or otherwise physically prevented from moving. Instances of SCP-2924-1 describe the movement as a light push, or in several instances as "a guiding hand on my shoulder." Lost density is regained 10-14 days after the onset of anomalous activity, with SCP-2924-1 instances returning to the surface without injury.

Experimentation has shown that SCP-2924-1 all move toward the same location in northeastern Nebraska, coordinates 42.██, -98.██, designated the Point of Convergence. If an instance of SCP-2924-1 reaches the Point of Convergence, it ceases anomalous movement; however, no additional anomalies have been noted to occur after arrival. Use of ground-penetrating radar at the Point of Convergence has not revealed any significant deviations, and excavation beyond the maximum depth of the equipment has been deemed an unnecessary expenditure of resources. Investigation into the historical or cultural significance of this location is ongoing.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License