SCP-3696
rating: +41+x
gravitywellmap

SCP-3696's gravitational effect1.

Item #: SCP-3696

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: Due to SCP-3696's distance, mass and size, any physical means of containing SCP-3696 using technology currently at the Foundation’s disposal is impossible. Implanted Foundation agents in major observatories and space programs are to contain images of SCP-3696, research data of its gravimetric effect2, as well as scientific theories which would cast doubt on the ongoing cover story. An ongoing misinformation campaign is in effect, currently aimed at perpetuating the existence of the Norma Cluster to ease compliance with current physics models. This campaign has thus far been able to completely suppress any knowledge pertaining to SCP-3696 from public awareness.

The Foundation’s DEep spaCE anoMalous oBservER (DECEMBER) satellite is to monitor SCP-3696 from an Earth-trailing orbit and report all sudden activity regarding SCP-3696 to Foundation Observation Sites.   

Description: SCP-3696 is an intergalactic gravitational anomaly located at the center of the Laniakea Supercluster3. The anomaly’s position on Earth’s celestial sphere resides within the area of the sky which is obscured by the Zone of Avoidance. This makes SCP-3696 currently impossible to directly observe due to the obscuring effects of the Milky Way’s galactic plane. As such, the properties of this anomaly were determined by noting its measurable effect on galactic clusters across a region of several hundred million light-years.

Measurements taken of SCP-3696 suggest that it is a highly localized concentration of mass many thousands of times more massive than the Milky Way galaxy. Current physics models place such a mass-heavy physical structure as an impossibility. In addition, current gravitational models using data recorded by the Foundation’s ‘DECEMBER’ satellite suggest that SCP-3696 is attracting the Milky Way’s galactic cluster towards it at a rate of 7.1 Mm/s.

Galactic clusters determined to be opposite SCP-3696 from the Milky Way’s are all blueshifted, in accordance with Hubble’s Law, indicating not only that they are approaching SCP-3696 relative to the Milky Way’s and to each other, but the variations in their blueshift are sufficient to reveal the existence of the anomaly. The variations in their blueshifts cover a range of velocities from about +700 km/s to +100 km/s, depending on the angular deviation from the direction to SCP-3696. Variation in velocity was also dependent on distance from SCP-3696, with a range covering ███ █m/s to 5.1 Mm/s. Should the Milky Way follow this velocity trend, galactic ██████████████ as a result of SCP-3696’s gravitational influence is expected to occur in ███ million years.

Addendum-1a:
SCP-3696 was first discovered by civilian astronomers in 198█ following a series of observations by X-Ray astronomer Dr. ████ █████ in █████,█████████, the target of which appeared to violate the idea of uniform universal expansion. SCP-3696 has only continued to display properties which place it in stark opposition to conventional astrophysical theory.

Addendum-2a:
Following Event-3696-20██-09, it is imperative that the Norma Cluster cover story is upheld with the utmost priority. Efforts of Sites tasked with observing SCP-3696 is to be focused on recording any similar incidents, discern how SCP-3696 was able to ██████████████ an entire galaxy in just █ hours and develop methods to stop the process.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License