SCP-3840
rating: +209+x

Item #: SCP-3840

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: Due to the size of the area SCP-3840 can manifest in, the entity cannot be physically contained. Containment will focus on disseminating fictional accounts of SCP-3840 sightings, intending to convince the general population that information pertaining to the anomaly is derived from an urban legend, along with explanations that attribute sightings to native fauna or hallucinations. Amnestics may be administered if witnesses attempt to heavily spread information on SCP-3840.

As radio broadcasts from the object are interpreted as number station broadcasts and are only known to fringe groups, further containment on these is unnecessary.

Revision: Attempting communication with SCP-3840 is forbidden.

Description: SCP-3840 is an emaciated humanoid entity that manifests in the Boreal forest region of Canada. It appears to be covered in severe burn wounds and is estimated to be 2m in height. Manifestations involve SCP-3840 being ejected out of a section of the forest, reaching a height of 50m above the canopy, and descending to another forested section 20m away.

This process will repeat for a variable length of time, normally around three minutes though reaching an hour on occasion, during which SCP-3840 moves toward the nearest population center until reaching a distance of 20km from the location. Demanifestation has not been directly observed. Of note is that, at all points during movement, SCP-3840 appears to be largely limp.

Certain objects that enter an undetermined radius around SCP-3840 will be pushed by an unseen force into following the same "leaping" motions as the entity, invariably colliding with trees or the ground in the process. These objects will vanish when SCP-3840 demanifests, and do not appear in subsequent manifestations. The most frequently observed objects seen alongside the entity are deceased animals, damaged articles of clothing, and computers.

Shortwave radio broadcasts at a frequency of 2156 kHz are released from SCP-3840 when manifested. These broadcasts consist entirely of a repeating monotone buzzing sound. A sample of this audio is below. WARNING: As this file may be loud, personnel are advised to lower the volume before listening.

No variations have so far been observed.

Sightings of entities similar to SCP-3840 have been reported. The most common describe a humanoid rapidly flying through a forested area, frequently colliding with trees while followed by indiscernible objects. An investigation is in progress.

Spray-Valley-Szmurlo.jpg

The area around the camp site, photographed by Agent Szmurlo.

Addendum: On 21-August-2015, Foundation assets began detecting a stationary radio broadcast at 2156 kHz, originating from Spray Valley Provincial Park in Alberta, Canada. The signal consisted entirely of a female voice repeatedly saying "Hello?" in English and French. After twelve hours the broadcast ceased, and undercover Foundation operatives were dispatched to the location.

Operatives discovered a camp site within a forested area. A heavily damaged camping van and the remains of a makeshift radio tower1 were present at the location, along with burnt articles of clothing. Cyrielle Mercier, a member of multiple online conspiracy theory forums, and a cell phone that belonged to an acquaintance were found inside the van.

Relevant files are available below.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License