SCP-5201
rating: +64+x
2/5201 LEVEL 2/5201
CLASSIFIED
classified-bar.svg
classified-bar.svg
classified-bar.svg
classified-bar.svg
classified-bar.svg
classified-bar.svg
Item #: SCP-5201
Euclid

Special Containment Procedures:

Domesticated SCP-5201 instances are currently contained in the Fauna Containment Wing of Site-235. Due to incidents of cannibalization within specimens, no more than one SCP-5201 instance is to be contained per containment cell. Each specimen is to be fed with one newborn mammal with a mass of at least 1 kilogram on a weekly or bi-monthly basis. Piglets are the most cost-effective and available such animals, but other species may be substituted as deemed necessary.

The following objects have been identified to cause serious or fatal harm on SCP-5201:

  • Abrahamic Holy objects
  • Spices (i.e. salt, garlic, and vinegar)
  • Sharpened Bamboo
  • Whips created from the tails of stingrays
  • Betel nut chew
  • Urine

All entrances to SCP-5201 containment cells are to be guarded by at least two Level-2 personnel equipped with at least one object mentioned above. Since the effectiveness of these objects depends upon the individual's religious background or cultural knowledge, moderate psychological screening and seminars must be conducted first before assigning any personnel.

A specialized portable retinal scanner has been developed to identify SCP-5201 instances in the wild or among human groups in case of a containment breach, capable of immediately identifying retinal irregularities that have been known to be a trait of SCP-5201.

The severed lower torso of SCP-5201 instances can be retrieved for research and domestication or must be disabled for reproduction through sprinkling salt, smearing crushed garlic or ash on the top.

Manananggal.jpg

One of the earliest artistic depiction of SCP-5201, circa 1382.

Description:

SCP-5201 is an endemic and carnivorous subspecies of Homo sapiens that have inhabited the Philippines, known in local folklore and myths as the "Manananggal". SCP-5201 was initially discovered during the 1500s by Foundation operatives embedded within the Spanish colonization parties. The Supernatural Committee of the Philippines declared SCP-5201 to be extinct in the wild in late April 1997.

Instances of SCP-5201 have been observed to exhibit a variety of anomalous abilities and characteristics, including:

  • Full-body autotomy or the ability to segment itself, leaving behind its body from the waist downwards.
  • Cellular transmogrification as an adaptation to blend with and infiltrate rural communities.
  • Additional appendages such as interfemoral membranous wings for flight and tentacle-like organs for defense.
  • Possession of an incredibly long and prehensile tongue capable of reaching lengths up to 20 meters.

SCP-5201 was the only known natural aphotic parthenogenetic mammalian species1. SCP-5201 asexually reproduce between the 15th to 20th autotomic stage, during which the lower body regenerates its own upper torso via a process similar to epimorphic regeneration2 observed in autotomous lizards3. The severed upper torso of an SCP-5201 would then search for a compatible female human to consume and eventually attach itself to repeat the cycle.

History:

The first recorded mention of SCP-5201 was by Spanish sailors in 1512. Between 1600 and 1900, SCP-5201 was hunted by various GoIs and other anomalous subhuman species also thriving at the time in the Philippines. Genetic testing from subfossil remains indicates that SCP-5201 is itself an invasive species to the Philippines, as determined using cross DNA testing from SCP-8871 and SCP-6993, which are also believed to be endemic with the country. The exact origin of SCP-5201 is unknown.

SCP-5201 achieved notorious and widespread recognition from Foundation researchers after some observed weaponization of domesticated instances during the Philippine-Xian War. Soon after that, Mobile Task Force Theta-4 ("Folk Hunters") was formed to capture instances of SCP-5201, SCP-8871 and other anomalous subhuman species within the Philippines for Foundation research.

Site-144 has historically carried out unethical experimentation on indigenous populations of SCP-5201 to see how they experienced pain, and bodily fluids and internal organs were forcibly taken from juveniles. These experiments caused political conflict between the Supernatural Committee of the Philippines and the SCP Foundation, and a large number of early Foundation outposts from the country were decommissioned as a result.


◀ Close Auxillary Document 5201-04 - SCP-5201 Species Profile

SCP-5201 Species Profile

October 15, 1889
Site-144 Parabiologist Nathalie Ferrancullo

THE SPECIES PROFILE
The Species Profile is a document that provides the information that the SCP Foundation requires to assess the risk of importing the species into the United States. The Species Profile must demonstrate the scientific validity of the information by referencing published and peer-reviewed scientific literature. Where information in the scientific literature is lacking or uncertain, this should also be noted. The information required is listed below.

SUMMARY
Homo sapiens visceralis is an anomalous and endemic subhuman species discovered within the Philippine archipelago. The species can be mostly found within Capiz on the Visayas region, where 78 tribal communities recorded. Settlements of the species can be found mostly across all the major cities of the Philippines, either co-inhabiting with the Filipino people or as the widely accepted "coverts" (according to the Supernatural Committee of the Philippines).

The potential consequences of the species overseas and its ecological impact is mostly only posing as a strong invasive species, primarily due to its high reproductive, regenerative, and carnivorous nature and imminent preference to human infants as a source of nutrition. As of the moment, the likelihood of the species establishing in the United States may be high, so precautions are highly needed to prevent any potential outbreak.

NAME AND TAXONOMY

[Level-3 Clearance Required]

Between the late 1900s and early 2000s, outbreaks of SCP-5201 were reported all across the Philippines. Due to the risks of SCP-5201 reaching out to nearby countries and becoming an invasive species, a joint-operation was formed between the Supernatural Committee of the Philippines, the Global Occult Coalition and the SCP Foundation to exterminate SCP-5201 instances in the wild and permanently erase the species from public history.

Later named Project Dipsy, the operation involved amnesticizing the major cities and towns of the country, funding various media and propaganda about SCP-5201 as a product of folklore and urban legends, and eventually domesticating the remaining populations that survived for cellular regeneration research.

◀ Close Auxillary Document 5201-05 - Email to Director Blackwood

Date: 07/12/2019
From: Light Alcatraz (xc.664etis-pcs|thgil#xc.664etis-pcs|thgil)
To: Ralph Blackwood (xc.532etis-pcs|eihplar#xc.532etis-pcs|eihplar)
Security: 🔒 Floxi Encryption (LETA)
Subject: 5201 Report #778
Message Body:

Director Blackwood,

It seems that we've been right all along. SCP-5201 never went extinct in the wild, and we weren't the only ones that domesticated them.

According to my sources from the GOC, a large number of Philippine syndicates are now utilizing SCP-5201 for foreign flesh trades and human trafficking. Specifically, they've been abducting girls and converting them into instances of SCP-5201. A few weeks ago, messengers from the Supernatural Committee reported an incident involving the Tatlong Kahoy syndicate, a political dynasty group known for trading in anomalous endemic organisms from the Philippines to countries like Russia and China. It seems the GOC has already taken action. They've been shutting down the larger conversion camps and warehouses and terminating all SCP-5201 instances involved.

The Committee managed to rescue a few hundred children that are still half-way from the conversion, and they'll be sending them to us in the hopes that we'll be able to help these girls.

We're requesting backup from MTF Theta-4 in case these start getting out of hand. We all know that when the GOC is involved, it's always bad news.

Talk to you soon,
Light

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License