SCP-5350

rating: +83+x

Item #: SCP-5350

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: An international ad campaign is to be launched advocating for the consumption of plant-based products, and to eschew eating meats. Vaccinations in the forms of thaumaturgically-enhanced flu vaccines and memetic agents reducing the urge to eat meat are to be distributed among the global populace. Those infected with SCP-5350 are to be placed into permanent quarantine, until the subject has expired or recovered.

MTF Beta-7 "Maz-Hatters" is responsible for clean up and disposal of animals infected with SCP-5350. Infected animals are to be neutralized and remains cremated. Gen+ and Gen++ technology is to be used to systematically destroy and recreate portions of the biosphere, slightly editing the genome of recreated species to be immune to SCP-5350. A sample of SCP-5350 is to be retained in Site-14, a dedicated anomalous diseases research facility.

Oculus.png
Informational pamphlet that was widely distributed by the WPO and the CADC (Center for Anomalous Disease Control). Expand image.

Description: SCP-5350 is a thaumaturgically altered pathogen derived from the influenza virus, that spontaneously grows into a fully functional eye (SCP-5350-A) on contact with mammal tissue. These eyes are often nonhuman in physical appearance, and can exhibit conflicting biology with its host. SCP-5350-A are filled with an aqueous solution containing more SCP-5350; the eyes easily burst, further propagating the spread of SCP-5350. As such, initial high-density infections on human bodies are in areas frequently subject to friction or prolonged contact with objects, such as the palms, back, groin, or soles of feet.

SCP-5350 is weak to extreme temperatures, and can only last outside of a host for 30 minutes before expiring. Infection of SCP-5350 has been correlated to a high degree of certainty to a meat-based diet.

Due to wide consumption of meat contaminated with SCP-5350 before the Foundation was fully aware of the anomaly, a significant portion of the population had been infected by the colloquial terms "Oculus Flu," or "Oculoma". Symptoms may include: sore throat, ulcers, upset stomach, eye-filled diarrhea, little-to-no appetite, and difficulty breathing. There is no known cure for SCP-5350, only preventative measures. Treatments can neutralize the spread of a SCP-5350 infection in its early stages, but even as SCP-5350 ceases to be virulent, the eyes become coated with a hard, translucent chitin, remaining fully functional but rendering excision from the surrounding tissue next-to-impossible.

The majority of untreated patients die of asphyxiation due to buildup of SCP-5350-A within the lungs, and patients who are infected for more than six months invariably become covered in SCP-5350-A. People infected rarely survive longer than a year without treatment, and those who recover are subject to extreme emotional trauma due to body dysmorphia and discrimination. A joint action between the Foundation, World Parahealth Organization (WPO), Manna Charitable Foundation (MCF), and Unusual Incidents Unit (UIU) was organized to stop the spread of SCP-5350.

Addendum 5350/1: Archived documentation of online civilian reaction to SCP-5350.

Project Scopophobia Recording:

Addendum 5350/2: Thanks to the efforts of the organizations involved with the effort, the spread of SCP-5350 was slowed drastically. From 2026-2030, the amount of infected individuals lowered from 1.3 billion to under 500 million. Projections estimate SCP-5350 will cease to be an epidemic in 2034. Complete eradication, however, is unfeasible at this time.

Recovered Audio: Through tracing viral loads in monitored water systems and simulated epidemiological models, the WPO and CADC were able to narrow down the origin of the infection to meat packing plants within North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. After thorough examination of the plants, a large mass of tissue was discovered in the ventilation shaft of a plant owned by the Tönnies Group. This mass was composed of discarded bovine and porcine flesh, presumably scavenged from the facility, along with unidentifiable human tissue. The mass possessed several vents from which exuded 5350 particulate, ceasing upon discovery. As the mass was removed from the ventilation shaft, several mouths emerged from beneath flaps of skin, speaking in several languages.

Who are we, to constantly commit genocide against our four-legged relatives?

Who are we to determine what's sapient or not based on skin-deep analysis?

Who are we to determine a dog's life is worth more than a pig's?

With animals, there's more than meets the eye.

Are We Cool Yet?

The artwork repeated this message until expiration.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License