SCP-5973
rating: +136+x

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING FILE IS LEVEL 5 CLASSIFIED


ANY ATTEMPT TO ACCESS THIS FILE WITHOUT LEVEL 5 AUTHORIZATION WILL BE LOGGED AND WILL LEAD TO IMMEDIATE DISCIPLINARY ACTION. YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO CLASS C AMNESTIC TREATMENT IN ACCORDANCE WITH EXECUTIVE ORDER O5-5973-2.

Item #: SCP-5973

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: The Foundation is to maintain SCP-5973's exclusion zone during the recovery and clean-up phase. Non-Foundation emergency personnel within this zone are to be supervised; upon leaving, they are to be treated with appropriate amnestics.

Update: 05/11/21

Following an emergency consultation with the Ethics Committee, the O5 Council has authorized the termination of any surviving sentient organisms found within the SCP-5973 exclusion zone (Executive Order O5-5973-1). Operatives suspected to have participated in the termination of survivors prior to the issuing of this Order will no longer face disciplinary action. Research Site-33's reactor ring is to be used as a temporary depository for organic remains until a larger storage vessel is acquired.

A combined amnestic and misinformation campaign (Executive Order O5-5973-2) is to be enacted with immediate effect. A mandatory Class C amnestics drive, to which all Foundation personnel below the executive levels will be subjected, will be enforced over the coming weeks. We believe this is in the best interests of preserving the Foundation's reputation and its directives to Secure, Contain, and Protect.

The presence of such a large exclusion zone makes total prevention of media and public interest impossible; as such, Foundation operatives within the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) are to disseminate the story that an unprecedented seismic event has occurred.


collapsed-house.jpg
Structural and terrain damage in ████████ Township, close to the north-western edge of the exclusion zone.

Description: SCP-5973 is the designation for a spatial anomaly that occurred on 05/10/21 at Temporal and Extraspatial Research Site-33 in ██████, Ohio. Personnel had successfully propelled a single hydrogen atom to a speed believed faster-than-light.1 The particle accelerator, an underground structure twenty-seven kilometres in diameter beneath ██████ County, had been in use without fault for three years prior to the SCP-5973 event, though no tests prior to 05/10/21 had achieved an FTL effect.

The spatial anomaly occurred several milliseconds after the atom reached FTL speeds; it has been speculated that the atom lapped itself several times before a mechanical fault abruptly reduced its speed, causing it to collide with a previous iteration of itself which was subsequently knocked from its course.

The immediate effect of this collision was the duplication of all matter within the accelerator's perimeter (offset from its existing position by approximately 0.6 inches). Severe damage to manmade and organic structures within the 27-kilometre perimeter (including several towns) occurred in seconds. Winds of up to eleven on the Beaufort scale were recorded as far away as Wisconsin in the moments following SCP-5973; the cause of this event was the mass displacement of air.

The widespread loss of life caused by SCP-5973 is believed to have been largely instantaneous, with the majority expiring from crush and laceration injuries. The current human toll stands at approximately fourteen thousand.2 Among those who expired were fifty-seven Foundation personnel, following the destruction of Site-33 infrastructure within the radius of the anomaly. As exploration and recovery is ongoing, the final toll is still pending.




Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License