SCP-2001-J
rating: +156+x

Item #: SCP-2001-J

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Samples of SCP-2001-J are to be thoroughly destroyed after testing.

Description: SCP-2001-J is a species of mammalian gut flora which is a variant of Lactobacillus reuteri. Upon consumption of foodstuff contaminated by SCP-2001-J, a mammal's native population of Lactobacillus reuteri will be replaced by SCP-2001-J. This process occurs over a period of two to three days, and typically goes unnoticed by the host organism.

When a coherent population of SCP-2001-J is agitated, as may occur due to gastrointestinal stresses, they adhere to one another, a process which is facilitated by rapid generation of cobalamin. SCP-2001-J bacteria will align along the common axis of cobalamin generation. This process causes a thin, unicellular sheet of SCP-2001-J to form. When agitation ceases, SCP-2001-J will coherently bioluminesce along the axis perpendicular to the sheet. The degree of luminescence involved is in the order of 3 watts per SCP-2001-J bacterium, however, the luminescence will typically cease after approximately 50 milliseconds. This results in a directed, coherent light source similar to that of a multiple kilowatt laser, projected from the posterior of the infectee.

Addendum 1: Research into weaponising SCP-2001-J is ongoing.

Addendum 2: The first MTF team equipped exclusively with SCP-2001-J infections, "Laser Butt Squad", has been created to combat the spread of SCP-789-J.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License